Saturday, August 21, 2021

Peter the Peccary missed his ride…

We forgot Peter the Peccary! How could I? How COULD I? He lives right in front of me at my computer. I guess he just became part of the normal scenery so I didn’t “see” him. We were half-way to Alamogordo, our first stop, when I realized. We still have Harry the Gila Monster but he was buried in our luggage today so no photos with him. Tomorrow!

So, we’re off on our latest journey (leaving on the 4-year anniversary of the total eclipse, 8/21/2017), our drive down (across? up? over?) Route 66. First stop, Alamogordo and White Sands National Park. And yes, we know that’s not on Route 66. Remember we have to get to Chicago first.



A few words about White Sands National Park: it is schizophrenic. We saw signs for White Sands National Monument and White Sands National Park; apparently it can’t make up its mind as to what, exactly it is. Park. That’s what you are, a National Park. Now get over your inferiority complex. You haven’t been a Monument for a few years. If you’re interested, and even if you’re not, it was designated a Monument in 1933 and upgraded to a National Park on December 21, 2019.




 

Driving across southern Arizona, our most expressed comment was, Look how GREEN it is! A carpet of green interspersed with orange wildflowers and white Datura. Just so special! We have lived in Arizona for almost 25 years and we’ve never seen it this green.

A  random thought: we stopped at Burger King for lunch. Don’t. Just don’t. They charged me $1.49 for a CUP OF WATER. Did I emphasize that enough? Water? $1.49? I don’t often stop at fast food places but this will definitely be the LAST time I ever stop at Burger King.

On to Tucumcari, NM, tomorrow. We will be there twice: tomorrow and then when we come back through on Route 66.

No comments:

Post a Comment